Summer is one of my favorite times of the year, and I think most of you have the same sentiments toward this sunny season! Even though the next few months are full of fun, they are also full of vacations, trips, eating lots of food and time off. This can throw off our routines and make it challenging to live healthily.
There’s a balance to be found between having fun and relaxing and being overly anxious about our health. Somewhere in the middle we can soak up summer for all it’s worth while still taking care of our bodies!
HERE ARE MY TIPS FOR STAYING HEALTHY THIS SUMMER:
- Stay hydrated // The best way to beat the heat’s effects on our bodies is to drink up! Keep a water bottle in your sight at all times to remind you to take a sip. Try switching out one soda, tea or coffee drink in your day for a full cup of water. If all else fails, there are helpful apps you can download to keep track of your water intake and remind you to drink more.
- Set a new, exciting goal // What do you want to accomplish? A health goal can look however you want – whether that’s a 5k race or going on a 10-minute walk every morning, dream up a way to stay active that sounds fun for you.
- Get an accountability partner // Pick someone you trust and let them know what you need to do to thrive and stay focused this summer. It’s easy to send a text to a friend to let them know you’re getting in time with God, some movement and anything else you’re wanting to commit to.
- Get outdoors // There’s always activity and fun to be had outside! Go to a pool, a water park, a new trail, ride bikes with friends, head downtown and keep up to date with local festivals and events. The sunshine (with sunscreen!), fresh air and movement will do wonders for your health.
- Eat seasonal // When we focus on fruits and vegetables that are grown in the summer, we get the most flavorful, nutritious and satisfying foods. Focus on eating plenty of berries, peaches, summer squash, asparagus, peas, corn, bell peppers, cucumbers and my favorite summer food: watermelon!
And of course, make sure you use your extra time this summer to connect with the ones you love and have fun while doing it!
Alexa is a personal trainer and health and fitness coach. She focuses on inspiring others to live spiritually, mentally and physically healthy. For more health tips, fitness inspiration and recipes, check out Alexa’s website or follow her on Instagram.
Summer is one of my favorite times of the year, and I think most of you have the same sentiments toward this warm and sunny season! Even though the next few months are usually full of fun, they are also full of vacations, trips, eating lots of food and time off, which can throw off our routines and make it challenging to live healthily.
There’s a balance we can have between having fun and relaxing and being overly anxious about our health. Somewhere in the middle we can soak up summer for all it’s worth while still taking care of our bodies!
Here are my top six tips to having a healthy summer:
- 1. Stay hydrated. We all know we need to drink more water, but this is especially true in the summer months when we’re sweating all the time. Carry a water bottle with you at all times and take big sips throughout the day. Keep your bottle in a visible place so you’re aware of it. Also, avoid getting your hydration from sugary soft drinks…fresh, clean, crisp water is all you need!
- 2. Eat seasonal. Focus on eating fruits and vegetables that are in season this time of year. This will ensure your produce is fresh, rich in flavor and that you are enjoying the tastes that make summer so special. Focus on eating plenty of berries, peaches, summer squash, asparagus, peas, corn, bell peppers, cucumbers and my favorite summer flavor: Watermelon!
- 3. Play outside. Just because we’re adults doesn’t mean we can’t play, too! Plan fun summer activities outside and do them as much as possible. This will keep you active without even feeling like you’re making an effort. Go to waterparks with friends, float some rivers, go boating, play in some sprinklers, make a homemade water slide, play your favorite games with some friends. The possibilities are endless!
- 4. Get plenty of sleep. In summer the days are longer—the sun is out past 9 p.m. and rises before our alarms go off. Even though the nights are short, our sleep shouldn’t suffer! Make an effort to get a full night’s rest as much as possible to let your body fully recover from the heat and summer activities. Staying rested will also help you have more energy to do fun activities with family and keep crazy food cravings away.
- 5. Bring a healthy side to summer barbecues. Be the salad girl or guy, and own that title! There is always an abundance of meats, mac n’ cheese and sweet creamy desserts. When you bring a fresh dish, you know there will be at least something nutritious to pile onto your plate at whatever party you’re headed to.
- 6. Be missional. Even though summer can be a slower time of year for some of us, find something to be missional about. Go on a summer trip to Europe to engage the refugee crisis, take time as a family to pray for a nation, volunteer locally or think of creative ways to serve someone who needs it. Ask God for something to keep you on mission and spreading the love of Jesus wherever you are this summer!
Of course, the most important thing you can do this summer is have loads of fun. Laughing is good for our hearts, minds and bodies. Do it as much as possible and you’ll be set for a relaxing and healthy season!
By Alexa Wible, author of Kitchenspired, a blog devoted to creativity and inspiration through cooking and creating yummy meals with good ingredients. Keep up with Alexa and find fun recipes on Instagram.