I know I’m supposed to be the guy that teaches on Biblical finances, but if I’m honest, I really don’t like the idea of giving. To my number-crunching, tight-fisted, “it’s-not-in-the-budget” brain, it seems like such a waste of my money. I have bills to pay, kids to send to college, other “more important” things to take care of. Giving is the last thing I want to do!
So then why does God invite me to give? Actually, why does He command me to give? Psalm 24:1 says God owns everything, so surely He doesn’t need my money. Why does He tell me that even though it is the last thing I want to do, it should actually be the first thing I do?
Here’s why: because He knows it’s good for me and you.
And why is giving for our good?
Giving helps REALIGN our lives with the one thing that really matters: knowing God and making Him known.
- As we give, it takes the focus off ourselves and puts it back onto God and what He wants to do through our money. God knows that when we only focus on our needs and our wants it creates more discontentment, less thankfulness and less joy.
- At its core, giving is really about worshiping God.
Giving multiplies our money.
- I know the math might not work on paper, but God promises to multiply our resources when we give.
- Here’s what Paul had to say to some of his friends who decided to give out of their incredible poverty. “ Now he who supplies seed to the sower and bread for foodwill also supply and increase your store of seed and will enlarge the harvest of your righteousness” (2 Corinthians 9:10).
- Until we give our money away, it cannot have the great impact God intended for it. For some of you that might be difficult because you feel like you don’t have enough money to give, but God promises to give us more “seed to sow” as we give.
Today, as you are looking at the pile of bills and all of the things you should be doing, know that God understands exactly where you are at. He knows exactly what you need and His invitation to give is not out of spite. He wants you to be set free! And giving is what will get you there.
By Josh Lawson
Do you want to know more about how to live out Kingdom values with your finances? Sign up for our ReAlign class, beginning October 18th. The cost is $49 and includes a ReAlign kit! You can also pick up your copy of Josh’s book, ReAlign: Finding God’s Purpose for Your Money in our bookstore or online.