Summer is one of my favorite times of the year, and I think most of you have the same sentiments toward this sunny season! Even though the next few months are full of fun, they are also full of vacations, trips, eating lots of food and time off. This can throw off our routines and make it challenging to live healthily.
There’s a balance to be found between having fun and relaxing and being overly anxious about our health. Somewhere in the middle we can soak up summer for all it’s worth while still taking care of our bodies!
HERE ARE MY TIPS FOR STAYING HEALTHY THIS SUMMER:
- Stay hydrated // The best way to beat the heat’s effects on our bodies is to drink up! Keep a water bottle in your sight at all times to remind you to take a sip. Try switching out one soda, tea or coffee drink in your day for a full cup of water. If all else fails, there are helpful apps you can download to keep track of your water intake and remind you to drink more.
- Set a new, exciting goal // What do you want to accomplish? A health goal can look however you want – whether that’s a 5k race or going on a 10-minute walk every morning, dream up a way to stay active that sounds fun for you.
- Get an accountability partner // Pick someone you trust and let them know what you need to do to thrive and stay focused this summer. It’s easy to send a text to a friend to let them know you’re getting in time with God, some movement and anything else you’re wanting to commit to.
- Get outdoors // There’s always activity and fun to be had outside! Go to a pool, a water park, a new trail, ride bikes with friends, head downtown and keep up to date with local festivals and events. The sunshine (with sunscreen!), fresh air and movement will do wonders for your health.
- Eat seasonal // When we focus on fruits and vegetables that are grown in the summer, we get the most flavorful, nutritious and satisfying foods. Focus on eating plenty of berries, peaches, summer squash, asparagus, peas, corn, bell peppers, cucumbers and my favorite summer food: watermelon!
And of course, make sure you use your extra time this summer to connect with the ones you love and have fun while doing it!
Alexa is a personal trainer and health and fitness coach. She focuses on inspiring others to live spiritually, mentally and physically healthy. For more health tips, fitness inspiration and recipes, check out Alexa’s website or follow her on Instagram.