Today Carl Gulley wrapped up our series, The Unlikely Ones, with a message on Josiah, an unlikely one who became king at just eight years old and would later call his people back to God. Josiah read the Word of God with sensitivity and attention, and practiced the things he read. As a result, his people turned back to God. Check out some of our takeaways from today’s message and learn more about how we can respond:
- You’re freedom is worth something, and it was all God who paid for it
- The Word of God deserves your sensitivity and attention
- Anything that has the potential to lure your heart back into slavery has to be dealt with ruthlessly
- A false god is something you don’t know you are dependent on until God asks you to give it up
- God wants to fight for our hearts to be free
- False gods try to provide a false sense of safety and security
- Don’t let any remnant of the past trip up your future
- When you cultivate spiritual disciplines, it positions your heart to look toward God
- When you fall in love with the Bible, you’ll fall more in love with God
- The pages of the Bible were designed to point us straight to God
Take some time to ask God if there are any false gods in your life and identify any remnants of the past that are trying to trip up your future.
TAKE THE JOSIAH CHALLENGE:
For the next month, we want to dive into the Bible and fall more in love with the Word of God, so we are challenging everyone to take the Josiah Challenge and spend time reading the Bible every day for the next 30 days. As you do, ask God to open your eyes to see the wondrous things in His law!
By Carl Gulley – College Pastor